Inspiring Education & Travel

Toll Free Numbers from

  • USA: 1-866-514 7479
  • UK: 01800 4049800
  • Australia: 0-1800-603-827
  • Canada: 1-877-442 0843
  • New Zealand: 01800441330

Contact us

  • +(52)33 3658 5858
  • Monday - Friday
    9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
  • Saturday
    10:00 AM - 3:00 PM CST
  • You are here > Home > Latin America > Peru

    FAQs - Peru

    I. Why do I need the TEFL/TESOL Certification?

    Language teaching is a challenging job that not everyone can pick up naturally. It requires creativity, patience, and knowledge of language-learning theory and language-teaching techniques. Increasingly, simply knowing English is insufficient if you plan to teach English in South America, Central America, Asia, Europe, or anywhere else in the world. Schools and Institutes are demanding qualifications, experience, and practical training in the methodology of teaching English. An accredited certificate is now a prerequisite to teach at the best English schools.

    II. What will I learn?

    This Certification program will show you how to effectively teach English to non-native speakers, and will provide you with the tools and experience needed to be successful in the ESL classroom. You will come out out of the teacher training with a thorough grounding in both the theoretical and practical concepts required to teach real-life language skills including: Speaking, Reading, Writing, Listening, Grammar, Vocabulary, and Pronunciation.

    The Certification program is a 12-Module Course that provides you with an important set of competencies required to effectively teach English in foreign countries.

    The most important and defining factor of the 4 week Certification program is that it provides you with a full 25 hours of practical teaching experience - more than any other program in the world. This is critical to making you a better teacher and will be looked upon very favorably by prospective employers.

    III. How will I be assessed?

    Participants are continually assessed. There are no written examinations, but there are 2 required academic papers and a professional portfolio. Class attendance is required. Final assessment is based on the following:

    • Class Participation - 30%
    • Student Teaching - 40%
    • 2 Papers and Portfolio - 20%
    • Lesson Plans - 10%

    Upon completion, successful candidates are awarded grades as follows:

    • Pass/Excellent
    • Pass/Good
    • Pass/Satisfactory
    • Fail

    IV. What pass rate do you have?

    Even though it is an intensive and challenging program, the majority of our participants (around 95%) pass the course. Overall, 60% are awarded a grade of Pass/Good, 5% receive a grade of Pass/Excellent, and 30% receive a grade of Pass/Satisfactory.

    V. Does this certificate qualify me to teach English?

    Yes. Your training will give you a major advantage over untrained teachers because you have declared your commitment to the field and to being a professional ESL teacher. Whether you want to work in South America, Central America, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, or anywhere else in the world; this Certification will open doors to rewarding employment opportunities.

    VI. Are there really teaching jobs?

    Yes, there are. The whole world wants to learn English. People everywhere, especially young people, are convinced that speaking English is their passport to a successful career. Worldwide, there are many more ESL jobs than there are native-speaking ESL teachers to fill them. Native English-speaking teachers are in high demand in every part of the world.

    English teaching jobs can be found in every country and in virtually every region of the world – South America, Central America, Asia, and Europe. There is also strong demand for professional instructors in English-speaking countries such as the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa to teach migrant communities or international students.

    VII. Can I make a real career out of teaching English?

    Yes. There are many opportunities for long-term permanent positions and even for advancement to Director of Studies and other administrative and executive positions. Other possibilities are teacher training and materials and curriculum development.

    VIII. Is it necessary to speak a foreign language?

    We do not require a second language to take the course. Most employers do not require you to speak any other language other than English. That said, some experience learning and speaking a foreign language will help you understand language in general and how people learn it. If you are teaching in a foreign country, a basic knowledge of that country's language and culture will also, without a doubt, make your life easier and make the overall experience much more rewarding.

    IX. Are there any age limits for admission?

    You must be at least 18 years old to participate in this program. Generally speaking, ESL teachers range in age from 18 to 80, although it is more difficult to find employment if you are under 21 and over 50. Preferred age depends very much on the country, the culture, the school, and the type of students the school has; and legal requirements may also play a part. Some schools prefer more mature teachers, especially if their students are primarily business people. Others feel that younger teachers are more "dynamic" and "modern" in their approach. While still other countries are so desperate for teachers that age is irrelevant. Also, some countries will not issue a work visa for teachers over 45 years of age.

    X. What if English is not my native language?

    We accept non-native English speakers. However, you must provide proof of proficiency in English (i.e. TOEFL, IELTS, Michigan exams) before being accepted in the course.

    Generally speaking, if you have an accredited certificate, not being a native speaker should not be a major problem. However, non-native speakers may not be accepted in some countries - for example Korea requires that your passport be from a native English-speaking country. But in many other countries, your English fluency and certification will be welcome additions to the teaching staff.

    XI. How long is the course?

    The certification course is 4 weeks long (150 total hours). Your certificate is awarded to you immediately upon successful completion.


    There are many courses offered online. Whereas there is undoubtedly value in the online courses, and you can receive your certificate in as little as 40 hours, employers will consider your certificate far less seriously. You should recognize that an important component of any serious course is teaching practice with real students. That is why we require all participants to observe and teach a minimum of 25 hours prior to being certified.

    XII. Do I need a university degree?

    We do not require a college degree for admission. In most countries, the most important qualification is the certificate itself. However, you might find some resistance by employers if you do not have at least a 2-year college degree. Especially in Asia and the Middle East, a work permit will not be granted if you do not have at least a bachelor's degree. That being said, with an accredited certificate, it is certainly possible to find work without a university degree, especially in South America and other developing regions.

    XIII. Can my family come with me?

    Yes. While you study, your family can enjoy the tours and sightseeing that Peru has to offer. We are also happy to arrange special accommodations for families.

    XIV. Do I have to get a work permit and residence visa?

    A valid passport is required to enter and depart Peru. Tourists must also provide evidence of return or onward travel. U.S. and European citizens do not need a visa for a tourist stay of up to 90 days or less.

    When entering Peru, you should specifically ask for a 90 day stamp on your passport. This will be sufficient to cover your time while you study for your Certificate and to do a little travelling and job-searching afterward.

    To work legally in a foreign country you need a work permit, with which you can then get a resident's visa. It is common practice for ESL teachers to initially work illegally in many parts of the world while their permits are granted. Our School's executive team will help you understand and navigate all the ins-and-outs and considerations in terms of work visas.

    XV. What about medical insurance?

    Before you travel make sure that you are covered by medical insurance, and that you are well-covered in case of accidents or emergencies while travelling outside of your home country. There are a number of companies specializing in international travel insurance. Multinational Underwriters is one such company, and can be contacted via their website

    Note: We are in no way affiliated with Multinational Underwriters, nor do we receive commissions or any kind of referral fee.

    XVI. What should I bring?

    When travelling anywhere, it is best to leave behind your preconceptions and what you're used to - and enjoy the differences. After all, that's why you're travelling.

    Please note that all participants MUST bring clothes for teaching classes. Whereas dress code is casual during the course, during the last two weeks while you are teaching live English classes you must dress like a teacher – this means well pressed slacks, nice collar shirt or sweater, belt, and dress shoes.

    The key to packing for a trip to Peru is to pack for a variety of conditions. The best way to deal with the extremes that Peru has to offer (the intense sun during the day, the cold mountain nights, the heat and humidity of the Amazon Basin) is to dress using several layers.


    • Teaching clothes
    • Day pack
    • Comfortable walking shoes
    • Hiking boots
    • 2 pairs of pants (lightweight)
    • 2 t-shirts
    • 1 short-sleeved shirt
    • 2 long-sleeved shirts
    • 1 pair of shorts
    • Thermal underwear
    • Fleece jacket
    • Hat or cap
    • Towel and personal bath kit
    • Sun block, lip balm, sun glasses
    • Camera


    • Laptop computer (if possible)
    • Notebook and pen
    • Spanish-English dictionary

    XVII. How much extra money should I bring?

    Carrying extra money depends on your personal spending habits. You may want some extra money for personal expenses, sight-seeing, souvenirs, etc. Generally speaking, we recommend bringing about $250.00 USD, or just bring your credit card. The best method for getting money is to simply use ATMs. Most banks in Peru offer 24-hour ATM access.

    XVIII. Do I need a Visa to enter Peru?

    Depending on where you are from you may or may not need a special visa to enter Peru. Most people, including those from the U.S., Canada, Australia, and Europe, automatically receive a 90-day tourist visa upon entering the country.

    XIX. Will I have phone and Internet access?

    The school has international phone and Fax service. Our students have free access to our computer centers with high speed internet and Wi-Fi connections; access is provided Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Projects based in the rainforest or in rural settings will not have the same phone and Internet service. Volunteers must be prepared for intermittent service or no service in these areas. In the most rural projects the only communication available is by shortwave radio.

    XX. What should I do in case of an emergency?

    If you experience an emergency while you are in Cusco, please contact the school immediately. If your family needs to reach you they can do so directly at the school numbers.

    XXI. Is the water safe to drink?

    Tap water in Peru is NOT safe for drinking. Tap water can be purified by boiling it or adding purification tablets, such as Micropur, which can be purchased at most pharmacies. Generally speaking, bottled water is easy to buy in stores. Showering and brushing your teeth with water is rarely a problem.

    XXII. Do I need vaccinations?

    It is recommended that travelers to Peru have vaccinations for Hepatitis A and Tetanus. Typhoid Fever and a malaria prophylactic are strongly recommended. Other immunizations may be necessary depending upon the circumstances of your project and personal medical history. Anti-malaria medication is NOT required, but is recommended if you are planning to visit the jungle. You should visit a travel-health clinic or your physician at least four weeks before arriving to Cusco.

    XXIII. Should I bring any medicine?

    It is recommended that you bring medications for travelers' diarrhea and altitude sickness. The best way to prevent travelers' diarrhea is to be careful of the food and water that you eat and drink. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) or Levofloxacin (Levaquin) are good choices for treatment of travelers' diarrhea.

    See your physician for specific recommendations.

    XXIV. Is Peru a safe country?

    It can be as safe and unsafe as any other country in the world. That being said, it's still important to use common sense.

    • Be careful if traveling on buses, as petty theft is common.
    • Ask for a receipt when you store your backpack or luggage.
    • Do NOT carry your passport or any credit cards and cash that you will not need.
    • Use only registered taxis. Do not walk into unknown areas by yourself at night.