Inspiring Education & Travel

Toll Free Numbers from

  • USA: 1-866-514 7479
  • UK: 01800 4049800
  • Australia: 0-1800-603-827
  • Canada: 1-877-442 0843
  • New Zealand: 01800441330

Contact us

  • +(52)33 3658 5858
  • Monday - Friday
    9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
  • Saturday
    10:00 AM - 3:00 PM CST
  • You are here > Home > Europe > Spain

    Frequently Asked Questions

    TESOL, TEFL, TESL, TEAL, ELT, TESL, What's the difference?

    They are essentially all the same thing. They are terms used to describe the teaching of the English Language by native English speakers to those that do not speak the language. The main difference is the country where the teaching takes place. TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Second or Other Languages) and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) are standard terms for English language teaching in non-English speaking countries. TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language) are normally related to English teaching among immigrant and refugee communities in English-speaking countries. TEFL and TESL are more frequently used in Europe as acronyms while TESOL and TEAL are more commonly used in North America.

    Why choose our course in Barcelona, Spain and not one of the other numerous certification courses?

    If you want to teach English abroad, this is the program to choose. We offer an accredited certification upon successful completion. The course's family of trainers holds high qualifications in teacher training and years of experience. The course provides candidates with plenty of practical teaching hours teaching real students. The course is competitively priced and each student receives personalized attention.

    Can I get a job without a certificate?

    It is possible in a few countries to secure teaching jobs without the certificate, but this is becoming more and more obsolete as more people want to teach and are acquiring certification. The positions that one may receive without the certificate are on average paid less.

    Do you provide trainees with an internationally recognized qualification upon successful completion of the course?

    Yes, the course in Spain is accredited by OCNW. Therefore, each trainee receives a Certificate in TESOL/TEFL.

    Do I need to have a university degree?

    It is not required, but it is recommended to teach abroad. You should, however, hold qualifications for entry to higher education (tertiary level) in your home country. The course will accurately prepare you for teaching English, but due to the competitive nature of the business, a bachelor's degree is looked upon favorably.

    Do I need to know the language of the country I'm planning to teach in?

    No. This program trains teachers with the universally accepted Communicative Approach. Within this approach, English is spoken while taught in the classroom at all levels.

    Do I need to be a native English speaker to take the course?

    No. Those applicants for whom English is a second language or foreign language must demonstrate competence in all skills in order to attend the course. There are some schools that prefer native English speakers, but not all.

    Do I need to have previous teaching experience?

    No. We provide each trainee with multiple chances to teach in front of real students and gain experience throughout the training.

    Do I need to have knowledge of grammar?

    The course does cater to those that lack knowledge of grammar. There are grammar books that are recommended reading as well as a pre-course task. During the course we offer a high number of grammar input sessions.

    Do I need to have a visa or work permit?

    We encourage those that plan to teach abroad to check with the Embassy or Consulate of the country they wish to work in.

    How much is the cost of living in Barcelona?

    In Barcelona, the cost of living is roughly 75% of the US or UK.

    One month rent in a shared flat, including bills: €300 - €400
    Lunch out: €6.50
    10 Journey Metro ticket: €6.00
    Beer in bar: €1.25
    Sandwich: €2.50
    Cigarettes: €2.30

    How much work does it involve?

    The course is very intensive and requires a strong commitment by the student. One can expect to be in class for about eight hours a day along with a few hours of work at home. We recommend that trainees have no other personal or professional commitments outside the course during those four weeks of training.

    Who are the practice students?

    The students are normally Spanish speakers that attend these free classes of English with complete awareness that they will be taught by novice teachers. The class sizes vary, but will never exceed 14.

    Who are the trainers?

    The director will be supported by a team of 2 - 4 trainers. They will be responsible for leading input sessions and observing and supporting you through teaching practice. Trainers are all qualified to at least Diploma level and with experience in teaching and teacher training.

    How will I be assessed?

    The theoretical side of the course is module-based, each of which is graded and returned with comments. The modules submitted are continually assessed; there are no written examinations. Assessment on teaching practice is also continuous. On completion, successful candidates are graded as follows:

    A1 - Distinction
    A2 - Excellent
    B1 - Very good
    B2 - Good
    C - Pass

    What will I receive after graduating?

    After successful completion, each applicant will receive the Internationally Recognized and Accredited Certificate. On top of that, a letter of recommendation is included with details of the candidate's performance and achievement during the course.

    When do schools hire?

    Language schools hire teachers on an as-needed basis. This means that many schools hire year round. There are certain periods of time that many schools have vacancies to fill such as just after Christmas and New Year's when some teachers do not return from holiday. Countries that are below the equator do a lot of hiring in February and March, which is when their autumn begins. In the Northern Hemisphere, September and March are the main times.

    Will I get a job?

    Yes. Although the job search sometimes takes longer in Western Europe, graduates are successful finding jobs there. There are literally hundreds of language schools in most major cities abroad, as well as schools located in smaller towns, that are constantly looking for certified and qualified English teachers. Within two to three weeks of conducting a serious job search the majority of students secure work. Prior to graduation we conduct job workshops to prepare you for your job search. Job guidance is a service we offer to our graduates for a lifetime. So, when you are ready to move onto another teaching position in another country, simply contact us for assistance.