Teaching English to speakers of other languages can be a highly rewarding career, offering you the chance to live and work in different countries. You will need an internationally recognized teaching qualification. The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is highly regarded throughout the world.
CELTA is teacher training program for people with little or no previous teaching experience and opens up a whole world of exciting teaching opportunities. Because it is awarded by Cambridge ESOL, part of the world-famous University of Cambridge, you can rely on its quality and recognition. More than 12,000 people successfully complete a CELTA course each year!
Courses are full-time over four weeks and have a minimum of 120 contact hours, plus a further 80 hours plus for required outside of class time tasks, including assignments and lesson planning.
The course is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. Full attendance is very important.
-Learners and teachers and the teaching and learning context.
-Language analysis and awareness.
-Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
-Planning and resources.
-Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
-6 Hours of Teaching practice.
A CELTA course:
- Teaches you the principles of effective teaching.
- Provides a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners.
- Gives you hands-on teaching practice.
-Teaching approaches and techniques.
- Language awareness.
- Teaching of various language areas and skills.
- Professional and career development in ESL/EFL.
- Practical experience teaching real ESL students at different language levels.
- Teaching practice every afternoon in small groups of 4-6 trainees.
- Detailed feedback and discussion sessions with a course tutor.
- Supported/guided lesson planning.
- Four written assignments aimed at broadening the trainees' awareness and application of teaching principles.
- Observation of qualified teachers and videoed lessons.
- Clear continuous assessment through reports and tutorials.