The School in New York was established in 1973 and has grown to include departments in teacher training, translations, foreign languages, general English and professional English, and boasts'the smallest ESL class sizes in New York. In 2005, the school started to offer the SIT TESOL Certificate program and now offers a wide range of teacher training programs. The SIT Graduate Institute is a graduate university based in Vermont and is one of America's leading providers of language teacher training.
SIT is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. (NEASC) through its Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
The school is proud to be one of the co-founders of IALC, The International Association of Language Centres. The IALC quality seal is a trusted symbol in language study abroad because it is associated with IALC's high quality assurance standards. All IALC language schools are regularly inspected and continuously monitored.
There are several other benefits to taking the certificate course there
- 1. While completing the course you will be surrounded by ESL students and teachers and have access to the full teachers' resource library in addition to the designated library.
- 2. You are also able to observe experienced teachers before you sign up, during and any time after completing the certification that you would like. Observing other teachers is a great learning opportunity for all teachers.
- 3. You will have access to continuing Professional Development after the course. All alumni of the certificate program are encouraged to attend the free in-house Professional Development workshops that the school offers to its teachers. These are held monthly.
basic principles: motivation, leaning styles, communicative competence
- 4. All alumni also receive a bimonthly e-newsletter with teaching tips and ideas, personal updates, job updates and details of professional development sessions. The School also has an active Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube channel with daily uploads of teaching tips, links to the latest EFL/ESL teaching information and more.
- 5. The SIT course is based on experiential learning and has a strong focus on reflective practice. You will gain the necessary skills to objectively reflect on your lessons in a way that will enable you to continue to grow and develop professionally after the course.
- 6. You can earn graduate credits through the SIT Graduate Institute.
- 7. The school has computers for students to use, as well as E-Beam (portable Smart Board) technology, wireless Internet and printing and a comprehensive resource library.